Here is a simple protocol we can use after we’ve taught a conceptual lesson to reflect on how it went:
- What was the conceptual relationship (intended goal of the lesson)?
- How well did the questions and activities help students to discover that relationship? Why or How?
- How can the statement of conceptual relationship (generalization or principle), questions and activities be enhanced to facilitate discovery and refinement of understanding?
- How did student understanding improve over the course of the lesson?
- How did I provide opportunities for students to reflect on their understanding and how their thinking improved?
- Did I provide an opportunity for students to transfer their understanding to an unfamiliar situation?